|On Sale||jun 08, 2011|
|Preview||oct 18, 2011|
2hrs. 40mins. (1 Intermission)
Based on Roald Dahl’s classic children’s book of the same name, Matilda follows Matilda Wormwood, a bright little girl who immerses herself in books. Matilda is discarded and belittled by her dimwitted parents—her father insists on calling her a boy and harps on her “stupidity” for preferring reading to watching the telly—and her hostile headmistress, the outrageous and wicked Miss Trunchbull. Reclusive, but with an ever-growing imagination and sharp mind, and with a caring protector in her teacher Miss Honey, Matilda dreams of a better life, daring to take a stand against unjust forces and to grasp her destiny in her own, tiny hands.
Should I see it?
What Is Matilda Like?
Matilda features a score by Australian musician/comedian Tim Minchin and a darkly comical yet compassionate book by Dennis Kelly. Rob Howell’s scrabble-tile explosion of a set, playfully and colorfully lit by Hugh Vanstone, is the visual counterpart of Dahl’s creative genius spilling into the theater. Director ...
- Sara Sheen & Abbie Vena Will Be a Little Bit Naughty in the West End's Matilda
- Maggot Shakeup! Three Pint-Sized Actors to Join West End's Matilda in Title Role
- Rebecca Thornhill, Michael Begley & More Will Join the Cast of West End's Matilda
- Maggots Beware! Craige Els to Join London Cast of Matilda as Miss Trunchbull
Matilda Cast & Creative
- Miss Trunchbull Alex Gaumond
- Matilda (alternating performances) Zaris-Angel Hator, Clara Read, Emily May-Stephenson and Evie Hone
- Miss Honey Haley Flaherty
- Mr. Wormwood James Clyde
- Mrs. Wormwood Kay Murphy
- Music and Lyrics Tim Minchin
- Book Denis Kelly
- Director Matthew Warchus
- Choreographer Peter Darling
- Set and Costume Designer Rob Howell
- Lighting Designer Hugh Vanstone
- Sound Designer Simon Baker
Earlham Street London, UK